Monday, September 01, 2008

Career Spotlight

UPDATED: To all September celebrants, be it birthday, anniversaries, etc....may you have more parties and celebrations to come. Cheers!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Every other month where I work we have an organizational newsletter published for staff to read. This time I was asked to contribute about my career, answering similar questions asked of other staff in the past releases of the newsletter.

Why Geographic Information System (GIS)?

Back in Manila exactly 20 years ago to this month, I had no choice. I was jobless and desperate after finishing my 3-year engineering contract in Saudi Arabia.It was out of desperation when I found an ad recruitment for GIS. Not even knowing what exactly it was all about, I was sent to Tokyo for 2 years of on-the-job training not just on GIS but also in speaking and writing in Japanese.

Thank goodness! I still remember everything from that training sans the "Nihongo" language skill...except the usual "konichiwa" and "o genki deska" stuff...

I still love Civil Engineering but my heart now belongs to GIS and my family. I don’t need to spend anymore days working outside on the field under the burning Arabian Desert sun or lonely cold winter. But I do love GPS-ing sometimes, under the LA morning sky.

I could easily say GIS was an accidental career for me…

What is your favorite part of the job?

It feels good knowing everything that comes out of my spatial and database analysis is being utilized for a very good reason and helps in the study and decision-making process that affects the organization, if not the community.


How do you define success?

Not forgetting where I came from and how I got to this point in my life, success to me is when I start living comfortably and be able to help others in need.

Who is the person you most admire professionally?

I can’t think of anyone professionally. But if you ask me the person I admire the most in my life, it would be my mother. She was able to manage our poor household with 6 boys and 2 girls, with lots of love and determination, but less on everything else, yet still all of us kids grew up to be decent adults!


What is the best piece of advice you were given?


“Keep it simple son, life shouldn't be so hard...and remember, it’s not how much you make…it’s how much you save.”

Little unknown facts about my career.

Worked on many odd jobs when first moved to the US, so I can at least eat; in particular order: from data entry clerk, to printer operator, to inventory guy stacking old computers in a warehouse, to filing clerk, to insurance clerk, to insurance claims assistant, was a licensed tax preparer....and a certified lover! hehehe ;-)

5 Comments:

At 9/02/2008 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

getting to know you even better , yan ang magandanda ring topic pag nagkakamabotehang pag-uusap. but you still remain the same egay we have then , now equipped with inspiring stories & expiriences , thanks for allowing us to have some peek in your own private idaho , cheers bro ! hello batchmates, GODBLESS US ALL , ALWAYS!

 
At 9/02/2008 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to all september birthday celebrants
May everything bright and beautiful be yours on your birthday and always!
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!!!!!!!!!ESPECIALLY TODAY AND TOMORROW CONNIE AND DIGNA
FROM PAPERBOX ORLY AND RACQUEL

 
At 9/06/2008 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dami mong nang experiences pala. Pero ang pinaka gusto ko yung huli, CERTIFIED lover. Saan ba pwedeng magpacertify at ano - ano ang mga quals? hehehehe

 
At 9/07/2008 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

huwag kang maiinip anonymous darating din ang certification mo kala mo di kita kilala?

 
At 9/08/2008 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

birds of the same feathers , magkakilala yung two anonymous!
digna , happy blessed birthday! wow kelan lang teen-ager ka pa , now , same age pa rin tayo ! cheers! see you soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Counter